Expedited Admission Task Force:
EOHHS, the Department of Mental Health (DMH) with the Office of MassHealth and the Department of Public Health (DPH) in partnership with the Division of Insurance (DOI) convened a task force to develop expedited psychiatric inpatient admission interventions available for all individuals boarding in EDs for extended periods of time. The task force membership also includes insurers, psychiatric and medical hospital providers, hospital and carrier trade associations, professional associations, and state agency representatives.
Expedited Psychiatric Inpatient Admission Policy – Effective February 1, 2018:
This policy provides an escalation protocol for securing appropriate placement for moving individuals boarding in emergency departments who require inpatient psychiatric hospital level of care. This policy sets clear steps and responsibility for escalating cases where placement has not been achieved in a reasonable period of time to senior clinical leadership at insurance carriers, inpatient psychiatric units, and ultimately to DMH, with the goal of identifying and resolving barriers to admission.
- Expedited Psychiatric Inpatient Admission Policy (document)
- Expedited Psychiatric Inpatient Admission presentation (ppt slides)
- Admission Policy Flow Chart (Document)
- Health Insurance Carrier/Payer Contact List (document)
- DMH Escalation Portal - After 96 hours: https://eohhs.ehs.state.ma.us/ReviewSurvey/ReviewSurvey.aspx?id=442
- DMH Referral Form and Tool Survey Definitions (document)
- DMH Secure email to submit supporting documents: https://ppsecuremail.state.ma.us/securereader/init.jsf?brand=cd301c5c
- Guidelines for setting up portal/email password and access (document)
Additional Materials - Additional materials can be found at DMH’s page at: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/expedited-psychiatric-inpatient-admissions-policy