Specific information in this year’s Alzheimer’s disease Facts and Figures includes:
- Brain changes that occur with Alzheimer’s disease (page 5).
- Risk factors for Alzheimer’s dementia (page 12).
- Number of Americans with Alzheimer’s dementia nationally (page 17) and for each state (page 19).
- Lifetime risk for developing Alzheimer’s dementia (page 19).
- Proportion of women and men with Alzheimer’s and other dementias (page 19).
- Number of deaths due to Alzheimer’s disease nationally (page 25) and for each state (page 27), and death rates by age (page 28).
- The impact of caregiving on caregivers (page 34).
- Number of family caregivers, hours of care provided, and economic value of unpaid care nationally (page 31) and for each state (pages 36-37).
- National cost of care for individuals with Alzheimer’s or other dementias, including costs paid by Medicare and Medicaid and costs paid out of pocket (page 43).
- Medicare payments for people with dementia compared with people without dementia (page 45).
- Attitudes toward cognitive assessment among seniors and primary care physicians (page 64).
Awareness and use of the Medicare Annual Wellness Visit among seniors and primary care physicians (page 65).